Sonntag, Dezember 21, 2008

This is starting to feel like a science experiment

You know: what happens when you stick a socially awkward 16-year-old in a foreign country, stop feeding her vegetables, make her speak virtually no English, and cut her off from people that she knows and real conversations?

Well, right now, I am sick. Yesterday I had a fever, which has gone down, but I've still got a headache and snuffy nose. I've been sleeping a LOT. I'm feeling a little sad around Christmas, which I suppose is normal.

I'm worried that I've developed a horrible attitude, or that something else is going on with me. I feel like I'm the only one who isn't having the time of her life in Germany, and really disappointed in myself in general, like I should be doing something that I'm not. I feel like I am so far from making real connections with the people here, includuding my host family, the people in my class, and the other exchange students. I miss honest conversations. I am constantly either censoring myself or simply being unable to convey what I'd like to in German. Or simply not speaking -- there are days when I say nothing, all day, but "hello," "good-bye," "how are you?" and "good" (in response to both "how are you?" and "how was your day?")

I am so frustrated! I never, ever imagined feeling so dysfunctional, and it has been more than THREE MONTHS, and I hate feeling like I am completely, totally alone in being out of place and lonely and unable to appreciate my exchange year.

I don't want to go home and tell people I hated my year here. I really, really want to have a good exchange year.

1 Kommentar:

Katie hat gesagt…

Okay, I'm sure these posts are getting a little bit annoying. But... all of it. I am feeling isolated, a side-effect i'm sure of not having had a proper conversation in ages. somedays i understand almost NOTHING and it is the most frustrating feeling ever. i'm not even homesick so much as... not happy? just utterly... eh.

but at the same time-- i'm sort of starting to bond with other exchange students. i have no proper german friends and i find that the times i am happiest are in my language course, because at least they share my frustration (although i'm not really learning anything, persay...)

But I'm feeling almost exactly the same. I'm holding out for January-- the holidays are destined to suck.

I am making it better by avoiding being at my house whenever possible and... yeah. It sucks.

so, that was productive.
let me know if you'd like to speak together... it might be nice.

~Katie