Donnerstag, Dezember 18, 2008

I had a really awful day yesterday, complete with me not talking to anyone all day, losing a glove on the bus, finding out that I have to COMPOSE something along with my music class, a panic attack, and crying in my room for three hours.

Luckily today was way better. School was fine -- the first class of the day was German, and a aweet, gluten-intolerant girl named Cordula gave a presentation about Bertolt Brecht. I shall pause for a moment and explain that everyone in the class has to so a presentation, called a GFS, once a year for a grade, then several smaller presentations called "Referats" as well. It can be in any subject, but I believe that it must be realted to what we're studying in that class. For example, we just read Mutter Courage und Ihre Kinder, so Bertolt Brecht makes sense. It's like a lecture, 30 minutes long or less. It took me over a month to figure out why every so often somebody from the class would get up to speak about something, and we'd all listen and take notes, but now I think it looks like tons of fun and I can't wait to do one. I have lists of things in my head... outsider art, Simone de Beauvoir, etc. I think what I will actually end up doing is a GFS about the American political system, in January, for my English class.

In her GFS, Cordula mentioned that Bertolt Brecht met Hegel at some point... I'm not sure exactly since I understood little in this presentation. Afterwards, the German teacher asked, "Who knows who Hegel is?" I was dozing off (as usual, I'm sorry to say), but everyone was looking clueless so I raised my hand. "Hegel," I said. "He's a guy. Of philsophy. He was a philospher, actually, from Stuttgart." The class errupted into applause at my pathetic explanation. I felt really good about myself, then awful because I know so much more about Hegel than that, and had I had time to prepare I could've given such an impressive explanation! But then I went back to feeling good.

In French, my teacher Frau Egge (who is a TERRIFYING PERSON) decided to ask me why I am in Germany and be all nice to me suddenly. Unfortunately she asked me in French, and my French has become unbelievably awful. I throw in some German roughly every two words! My fear of Frau Egge lives on.

In the lunch break, I decided I wanted to buy a crepe from the Christmas market. So I walked outside, where I ran into Aline, who was waiting for her boyfriend Theo and wanted me to wait with her. We waited for a while, but he didn't show up, so she came along to the Weihnachtsmarkt too. I attempted to start several conversations, but failed miserably. Let's just say I am still completely unable to explain the (simple) plot of "Garden State" in German. At the market, we ran into Lukas and Lukas -- Lukas Leonhard was stessed about what to get Roya for Christmas. (We all have to buy something for someone in our class, whose name we drew from a hat.) Aline suggested some jewelry, but Lukas insisted, "I have no idea what to get for jewelry!" so we all went into the Schössle-Gallerie and tried on sunglasses. Then I accidentally pushed Lukas Leonhard into the sharp corner of a banister and was promptly hi-fived by Aline and the other Lukas, which made me feel really happy and German. We were so, so late to our history class, so we took a route through Theodor Heuss Gymnasium and ran up four flights of stairs! It was so fun.

Then I had my Deutschkurs, which is so pathetic it crosses the line and becomes hilarious. I laugh through every class -- the others must think I am insane.

Now I'm back to feeling exhausted. Unfortunately I have a few gifts to wrap before tomorrow... but fortunately, it's almost Christmas break! I'm so ready to have a nice break from school now.

4 Kommentare:

mh hat gesagt…

What a great day!

I love mention of the high-five moment. Also, I was planning to give you a Brecht book before you ran away from home. aw shucks...

Doesn't this image make you feel a little sad?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/05/Brechtgrave.jpg

mh hat gesagt…

Also, I can't wait to hear about your lecture. 30 Minutes - wow! What a great opportunity!

charlotte hat gesagt…

oh my gosh! the gsf sounds so you, do you know what i mean? it sounds really perfect. and i love the image of everyone clapping at you after your hegel one-liner. i have been talking to rude afs employees in oregon and getting blood work done for my medical form. Happy (almost) Wintersonnenwende!

Adam hat gesagt…

I'm trying to imagine how to say "Good luck exploring the infinite abyss" in German. (That's what I'd want to say, if I were trying to explain Garden State.)