Mittwoch, Dezember 24, 2008

Fröhliche Weihnachten

Merry Christmas, everybody!!

In Germany, most (all?) of the festivities happen on the 24th, as I was informed ten minutes ago. ("So, are we going to open the presents tomorrow... or what?") Ours include: schmucking the Weihnachtsbaum (which I helped with this afternoon; turns out there are a lot of ways to screw up hanging ornaments on a Christmas tree), going to church, singing Lieder, listening to Bach's Weihnachts Oratorium on a CD, opening gifts, and eating Raclette (kind of like cheese fondue, I think. We'll see.)

I'm in the slow process of uploading a month's worth of photos to Flickr. Unfortunately, my computer is too slow to handle the extreme Flash uploader, so it's going slowly. But keep checking back -- I'm putting up photos of sort of baking cookies, Stuttgart, the Schwarzwald, and Nicola's Christmas Story among other things!

1 Kommentar:

Katie hat gesagt…

We made Raklette as well! And I'm a bit... tipsy? They gave me wine. A lot of it.

The church was... interesting. I wanted to go with the kids, because I thought I would understand more, but I didn't and ended up understanding almost the whole sermon anyways. Which is sort of weird. But nice.

And I didn't even dare try to touch the Christmas tree-- at home, we just go at it. But here, it was as if there were GPS-honed coordinates for the color-themed ornamentation and the 12 red candle holders and the red green.

So, have a good time in Spain!