Donnerstag, November 13, 2008

Some words about school

First of all, I'm really sorry I haven't been writing more. I'd hoped to wait to update with some amazing photographs of Heidelberg and Regina with Davy Rothbart, but alas, there's something wrong with my (external! weird!) USB drive. So those will have to wait.

Second of all, thank you thank you thank you to all of you who sent me a package/letter. I love you all so much. My host family is mildly disturbed by my abundance of birthday packages (which I'm waiting to open!) as I don't think birthday gifts are as common here in Germany, at least for adults. I'm also really sorry about not writing back, for those who I have yet to write to. I promise that you will recieve a letter from me really soon.

And now, to school: I have a math test tomorrow that I am undoubtedly going to fail, despite all of Alex's help. I honestly have not understood anything the teacher has written on the board for the past four weeks. I am also too scared to ask him (or warn him about my failing) because I am absolutely terrified of him. He yells at us, "You learned this in the 8th class! YOU LEARNED THIS IN THE 8TH CLASS! This is NO Hauptschule!!" He is so scary!

I have another test on Tuesday, in history, that I will also undoubtedly fail. That teacher scares me a little also, but Alex promises he's a nice guy, so I think I will approach him and warn him beforehand. I expect a comment about "those Americans," since he likes to tease me about being American in the class... Often the other students have to translate his remarks for me.

I am incredibly sore from Sport class on Tuesday. I played volleyball for the first time in my life, and I find that I am almost unbelievably terrible at it -- worse at it than I am at soccer, or football, or softball. But, I am so sincere about volleyball, and I try SO FRIGGIN' HARD. I jump up and wave my hands about spastically whenever the ball comes my way. When I miss it, I race after it as fast as possible, throw it up, and proceed to try four or five times before getting it over the net. I run to wherever the ball is, then hit it down instead of up, and then try four or five more times to "serve." Within ten minutes I am drenched in sweat, and most of the other girls play well and appropriately without moving more than a few feet at a time. The teacher often "takes me aside" to lecture me on my terrible, terrible volleyball style. But I really hope she notices how much I put into these pathetic volleyball games.

Today I answered a few questions (rather gingerly) in French. My French teacher is a psychopath. Then is biology, I answered five or so times!! I totally understand the entire class -- I have never felt this good at biology in my life.

You can probably tell from my tone that I am in a good mood. However, it is still really up-and-down: today was one of those days when I woke up crying just because I was dreaming about home, thourough enjoyed the bus ride (it's really pretty because the little villages are all lit up in the dark mornings), spent the whole day in a kind of tired trance, then spent the afernoon feeling absolutely miserable and trying to convince myself not to call Alisa and complain to her again, then had a really funny Deutschkurs and a nice drive home... and now I am completely happy.

The only thing really distressing me at the moment is just feeling not-so-good about my German ability -- and my lack of friends. Right now I feel like I will never find a place here! Today I went to Cafe Mokka for a tea, and it was really nice because they have amazing tea (although don't ask for milk, that's not culturally acceptable.) It was empty except for this irritating couple, and when it got dark the woman working there put this beautiful big candle on my table and it was so nice and cozy! It was like Christmas. Still, I was feeling sad because in my head I kept going over everything I'd accomplished here in Germany and everything I want to accomplish, and I felt like absolutely nothing has changed since I got here. I'm just as homesick, just as friendless, I feel just as awkward (sometimes) with my host family, and my Deutsch isn't much better. I also feel really bad because one day I'll be really talkative and comfortable, the next I'll cry literally all day long, and I think it really upsets Regina. She really wants me to be happy and it confuses her when I appear to be so happy one minute and so sad the next. Still, I'm trying to go easy on myself -- I really haven't been here that long, and I have a lot of time to figure this Germany thing out.

Oh yes, more about school -- my novelty has worn off. At first, the others found me so interesting, and wanted to talk to me all the time and sit next to me. Now, nobody talks to me, not even Aline and Karoline (who are so nice). Often I am asked about English homework, but other than that, I'm a little ignored. Still, I'm not completely sad about this because I KNOW that even if I were to leave tomorrow, I would keep in touch with my family, Alisa, Tang, Martha, and Chiara. And even though we don't have a lot in common at times, those relationships will just keep getting stronger, and I trust that by the end of the year I will have made some real friends.

Also I think I am going to have a birthday party. I am so excited about this, it's like I am suddenly seven years old. I often feel seven years old here -- I suddenly remember how frustrating it was to be that age and never be taken seriously. More later.

9 Kommentare:

Liz Woodbury hat gesagt…

i'm afraid you may have inherited your volleyball style from me. sorry!

Anonym hat gesagt…

Dear Zoe.

I now realize we sent too many birthday gifts. Please return your least favorite ones.

love,
Dad

Anonym hat gesagt…

a little vb tip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dAYuT0rZlw

Love,
Dad

mh hat gesagt…

Forget volleyball and pledge your love to origami!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfz0IVMPC9s

Dad, again.

Katie hat gesagt…

Yes, now i'm going to leave you awkward, unfortunately long, comments on your blog.

Okay, they actually grade kids on skill in gym here. We did gymnastics and kids we're actually flipping about on the parallel bars and stuff.

But the gym teacher told me I didn't have to do anything, apparently. Which is good, because I can't.

We write our first big test tomorrow (physics) which I am also going to fail. But I get to go to a chorfahrt next week, so... I suppose it's okay.

About birthdays: tomorrow is my first big german birthday party. someone is turning eighteen and they're having a giant birthday fire? (this is my understanding) we were late for every class today because like every kid I've ever met insisted on coming up and hugging her. It's kind of nice, though.

but happy birthday! viel gluck, etc.!

Math: my math teacher has just given up on me. but my class is doing calculus. seriously. makes me want to cry. at first, he tried to explain it to me (he thought i spoke better german) but then he realized that class makes the same amount of sense whether or not i pay attention. i can't read what he writes and he doesn't write down all the steps (or normally the answer), so it's really confusing.

i know what we're doing in biology and chemistry... i just can't understand the teacher, really.

i've answered one question in chemie but the teacher got kind of upset (because no one else could answer the question). so now i just knit or learn new words. i think it's okay, though.

I'm sorry about the 'friend-situation'. I think it's really hard. Fortunately, I have a few sort of base acquaintances who make sure I don't get lost or run over and as long as I keep trying German, they enjoy me. I've been a bit by the class adopted... the boys tease me like they do the other girls and i get hugs and kisses. which is nice. they're really, really lovely.

concurred on not being taken seriously.

i guess that's all (as if I haven't written a short essay)

katie

Gil hat gesagt…

so it's your birthday?
congrats!

seems like you're having a really hard time there, but don't give up

I'm pretty sure everyone would remember their Amerikanisch freund

btw, I havent presented myself :)
I got to your blog through a post you made about wir sind helden and took my attention the fact that you are studying in Germany because of an exchange program.

In a couple weeks I'll take a Deutsch test to see if I'm selected to study there too, so here I am :)

Hope you get better, so my expectatives increase hehe jk

take care!

charlotte hat gesagt…

this is just sad because i want your life there to be completely perfect. and obviously it isn't, and it wouldn't be perfect here, either! i can't help feeling that you spend all of your time with total strangers, even though regina and alex and hans-peter and alisa and tang and chiara and the teachers aren't strangers to you. let me know how your birthday goes. and have fun in the city that starts with k this weekend.

B.W. hat gesagt…

You and Veronica are going to have to compare volleyball stories when you get back. It sounds like you're playing in the same class.

Martha hat gesagt…

my math teacher screams the exact same thing at my class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!