Donnerstag, November 13, 2008

Practicum

Sorry, I really don't know how to spell that.

So, today I borke the news to my host family that I'm planning on becoming a philosophy professor "von Beruf." I say "broke the news" because sometimes I feel a little like a tiresome deadbeat on society among all these future doctors and diplomats. (Two terribly practical professors that are really, really valuable in this modern age.) Before, when asked what I was planning on doing in the future I either said "I don't know yet" or "mumble mumble mumble professor of some kind." Yes, I know that's ridiculous, and I know I should be who I am and realize that philosophy can be very practical, and plus it makes me feel alive. And you that ol' saying, that the world needs people who feel alive? But still, I just feel a little umcomfortable with it; I feel a little what-am-i-doing guilt.

It came up because I have to make a Practicum. This is a week-long job shadow in February or March, and it's pretty important. My host family asked me what I wanted to do, and I said I wanted to be a professor.

"For what? For literature?"

"Um, yes."

They discussed options for a while (it looks like I'm going to be calling up the Pforzheimer Zeitung) and then asked some more clarifying questions. "For Shakespeare?" (I ranted for a while about my deep, everlasting love for Hamlet sometime during my first week here, I think.) "Or philosophy?"

"Philosophy," I said. "I will become a professor for philosophy."

They reacted not with the expected "What the hell are you doing with your life?" but with absolute enthusiasm and glee, and many stories about times both of them dabbled in philosophy. I was presented with a huge stack of books from the 70s set in beautiful fonts, which I probably won't be able to read for about five years (that's just a slight exaggeration.) With titles like "Existenzphilosophie." And Regina and I had a lovely conversation about Sophie's World, which she too has read! Anyway, they are both totally excited about my profession.

It's funny -- despite how different my host parents are from my real ones, these times come up when they remind me so, so much of my dad. And then I realize that despite how annoyed we sometimes get with each other, they really love me and I am really in the right place here.

6 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

aw, Zoe, you have once again made me laugh & cry at the same time, my dear philosopher. I am so happy that you've landed safely in Germany !

Anonym hat gesagt…

I love you by the way

Anonym hat gesagt…

What a great post!
It's so fun to learn these details of your daily life, Zoe.
Two quick things:
Quite some time ago, I mentioned to Jason Read that you were interested in seriously studying Philosophy. I remember him looking down a bit and saying "oh, I'm sorry. As a parent, that must be...” "No, No", I said. "It's very exciting, actually. Regardless of where Zoe goes with this, she's a real (not real, as in real good; but real, as in sincere) learner. She loves to learn!" Jason smiled.
In college, I dabbled (mostly unsuccessfully) in graduate level philosophy courses. I remember sitting in class with my philosophy friend, Kirk Garrett, and realizing I was witnessing the moment where philosophy and art meet. Where studying philosophy no longer meant doing the readings and keeping track of philosopher names in one perfectly aligned column and the specific beliefs, theories, etc. each philosopher subscribes to in another -- then, later on, regurgitating this info back to the professor in test or essay form. As if witnessing something of biblical proportion, like Moses parting the Red Sea to lead the Israelites ‘ escape from Egypt to the Promised Land, I remember watching Kirk and his fellow Philosophy Graduate Students debate questions by pulling from hundreds of years of philosophical thought to make a succinct point. They were engaged and animated, in some ways like I, during college, discussed religion, contemporary art, indie-rock, Euro single vs. domestic 12”, LP vs. CD vs. DAT, micro brews, and Budweiser in a bottle (not a can). Like you, Zoe, they were for real – and I was glad to witness their art.

Liz Woodbury hat gesagt…

i think that last comment was by a philosopher!

Anonym hat gesagt…

Also, I can't wait to see pics of those philosophy books!

love,
Dad

Katie hat gesagt…

Zoe!

I think I've given up my dreams of medical school to either become a midwife or a baker. My parents are not terribly pleased by either of these prospects.

(This may have something to do with college applications. Maybe.)

Philosophy is lovely, though. I have to be really caffeinated to handle it though, which may have long term ramifications on my health should I try to attempt it full time.

I don't know if I get to do a practicum, but I hope that I do! There's a really cool osteopathic doctor that practices just down the road (unlike in the US, where there seems to be little established difference between a MD and a DO, this guy became a doctor and then got his degree in osteopathy.) I'd really like the excuse to follow him around. We'll see.

My teachers are really passive aggressive about my presence. Besides the fact that my biology/chemistry teacher is virtually incomprehensible (the real germans can't understand him either), he refuses to give me any of the papers since I'm not taking the tests with the class. (I'm not sure quite what his issue is.), so I don't actually know if I'd get to do the practicum or would just be expected to sit in the receptionists office and read like when my class wrote their physics test.

Weird. And off topic. Anywho, all the best on your birthday!

~Katie