Dienstag, April 14, 2009

Prague

This past weekend (Wednesday to Sunday) was spent brandishing Bohemian wit with Kayla in Prague, and it was probably the most fun I have ever had in my life. I also think I laughed more than I have my entire year abroad. Of course it was nice to speak English, be with a friend, and generally feel like my normal self again, but it also felt so spiritually healthy, or something. I did so many things I've never done before. Like:

moutain bike (almost eight kilometers)
eat meat
roast Wurst on a stick over a huge fire
attempt to converse with non-english/german speaking people
successfully find my way through the prague metro alone
be spat at on the street for speaking english
attend a czech sing-a-long
be stung by a poisonous plant
skin both my knees

My Student Agency Bus departed from Stuttgart at 10 am Wednesday. This bus is awesome. I got my two-way ticket for 70€, there's free hot chocolate and coffee, and movies play the entire ride (in Czech, with English subtitles). None of the staff spoke German, so I began my weird English/Czech immersion immediately. After a nine-hour bus ride, I arrived in Florenc Bus Station, and as soon as I saw Kayla I burst into tears, something that I would never, ever do under normal circumstances. I was just overjoyed to see her.
We took the subway back to her appartment, where I met her host parents Dana and Jirek. After a nice cup of tea, I exclaimed rudely in the middle of the living room, "I HOPE you told them I'm a vegetarian!!" Kayla got a worried look on her face and informed me that, no, she hadn't told them I was a vegetarian, because she'd thought that I'd switched to meat-eating while in Germany (something that I did consider.) I didn't want to eat the meat, but I'm glad I did -- otherwise I would have been a huge inconvenience, and probably very rude, and there appears to be a lack of vegetables in the Czech Republic. It was okay. I also feel new enthusiasm for vegetarianism now that I've tried meat and discovered that I really, really don't like it.

Thursday, we spent the entire day in Prague. In the morning we went to a lovely park overlooking the river, went in the Church of St.Peter and St.Paul (a really, really beautiful little church), and Kayla showed me her school.







Then we had vegetarian Indian food for lunch, which was awesome.





We wandered around more, I exchanged my money and paid her back for the metro and lunch, we visited some statues, and went to Prague's touristy Old Town. Then, Kayla told me about a street that she loves with the Prague Center for Performing Arts on it ("I always hear the strangest noises coming out of there!") and also a cafe called LITERARY ARTISTS CAFE that she's a little scared to go in alone. I will go with you, Kayla! I said. We were pleased that we'd faced our fears. And basically iced coffee = love. Introducing iced coffee is one of the ways I would like to improve Germany (or perhaps just Pforzheim? Perhaps they have it elsewhere?)



Kayla attempted to improve my Czech. When I told her I only knew how to say hello, yes, and no, she responded, "When I came to the Czech Republic, I only knew how to say the words 'neck,' 'wolf,' and 'trout'!" I have now extended my vocabulary to a series of semi-helpful nouns and phrases: "I don't speak Czech," "Do you speak English?," "Germany," "German," "dog," "Wurst," "water," "pretty," "good," "thank you," "please," "I'm sorry." During our little language-lessons, this dialogue seems to ensue:

Kayla: Prosím.
Me: Prosím.
Kayla: No, Prosím!
Me: Prosím!
Kayla: Just give it a normal R! It's better to say it with an American accent than a German one.

We took the subway to the cemetary where Kafka is buried, but sadly it was closed for Passover. So then we went back to Prague-center to a really expensive, disappointing vintage store and a horrible, teenagery, cheap one, where we found a shirt that said "I wouldn normally rock thi gs." What does this mean? Why is the N from the word "things" stuck on to "would"? And the phrase itself sounds weirdly apologetic, like "I would normally rock things, I'm just not rocking them right now."
Other highlights:







We went up to the top of a very tall bell tower, where we got to watch them ringing the biggest bell in the Czech Republic!



Later I climbed the tallest escalator in Central Europe. We went to a teahouse for a while, and then to a bar called "Jeep Bar", which is located in someone's house, in a residential neighborhood, and there were kids' tricycles in the yard. The place was tiny and filled with bizarre WWII memorabilia. We went home.


The next morning I was awakened to a neighbor BLASTING "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." I got up and Kayla translated something her host mom said to her friend: "TEN HOURS in the bus from Stuttgart, and then Kayla drags her for TEN HOURS around Prague!!" We departed for Kayla's family's little house in a village near Pribram, south from Prag. The countryside is incredibly beautiful. The next three days were spent doing leisurely things like bike rides, playing croquet and pool, sitting in the sun, eating cake, and drinking tea and coffee.

On Saturday Kayla and I biked through the Czech countryside to a little chapel on a hill. It took me a while to get used to the mountain bike I was using. I got frustrated with it, but Kayla reminded me, "You can tell people you learned to ride a bike in the Czech countryside." We stopped to walk our bikes up the huge hill, but it was absolutely exhausting. Still, at the top, it was amazing beautiful, and definitely worth it. We passed lots of little catholic shrines on the way, which was cool.




On Sunday we took a longer bike ride through the FOREST with Kayla's host dad. I fell down three times, skinned both my knees, and once I fell into a poisonous bush that gave me a painful rash all over my arm. The host mom of Kayla's friend Nick, who lives in the same village, had informed us just that morning that one could eat this particular plant "as a spinach," even though it's poison if it pricks you. The bike ride was terrific! We rode through picturesque hills and accross bridges and past horses grazing and everything.

Afterwards we walked to a pizza restaurant where we got funny pizza with ketchup on it. Apparently this is normal in the Czech Republic! I couldn't really enjoy it because I was terrified of returning to Prague the next morning -- Kayla and her host sister Vera put me on a bus, which I'd have to get off of, find my way to a metro stop, take the metro to Florenc, and find my Student Agency Bus. Luckily everything worked out, despite me almost walking away from the bus driver without my 400 crowns change!

In May I might get together with Kayla again, in Europapark. I'm hoping that works out. It was fabulous to see her.

5 Kommentare:

Katie hat gesagt…

yay!

looks like loads of fun, despite the skinned knees and so forths.

holly k hat gesagt…

o zoe, what a wonderful time it sounds like you had! i've been keeping up with your stay in germany thru your blog, but never commented because the german veroffenlichen down there intimidates me....i hope this works...
xoxo

Evelina hat gesagt…

Ahoj Zoe, to je supr, byla jsi v Pribrami? This is just incredible because Pribram is my hometown where I spend 20 years of my life and also met my American husband. You probably walked to Svata Hora, right? The monastery? I am very happy that you had a good time in Prague , it is my favorite city but sure I am pretty bias. The stinging plant they offered you as "spinach" is nettle, it is not very common here but my husband planted it for me in our garden because this is a plant you are supposed to have in one of the Easter stuffing. Ironically, it never grows for Easter here and when it comes weeks after I don't use it and because it is a weed it overgrows pretty quickly. Viel Spass und viele neue Erfahrungen!
eva

Katie hat gesagt…

oh, and ps, my host family considers ice coffee cold coffee with milk in it. like a root beer float...

I tried to introduce the american concept, but it didn't go over well.

charlotte hat gesagt…

that sounds like so much fun, zoe! you two look so happy. i just heard that my afs orientation is in may. we just got back from junior journey in mississippi. it was really, really weird.
love, charlotte