Freitag, Januar 23, 2009

Obama, Volleyball, Housewives

First of all, OBAMA IS PRESIDENT. That was just... really nice. Really nice to watch, to be with my host family, and to chat with Isaac and my parents at length on Wednesday about. I did not cry. I liked the color of Michelle Obama's dress. I understood most of Obama's speech, but I would've liked to hear it in english, without the German overdub. I laughed when I saw Dick Cheney in the wheelchair. I think things will get much better. I hope they will. I hope.

Now, more about SCHOOL. Where should I start? Maybe my FAILING CAREER IN VOLLEYBALL. When I was in elementary school, I cried during almost every gym class, except when we were playing soccer. I was scared going into my class here that I would be yet again constantly on the verge of tears, but that luckily wasn't so. Until now. I find I am that person that nobody wants on their team. My gym teacher pulled me out of the game two weeks ago to try (unsuccessfully) to teach me to hit the ball, then I ended up just standing in the corner. Last week, I ended up in a pair with a girl who is especially good at volleyball, with was awful. I have gone back to feeling unathletic and horrible and humiliated. I have found that when someone throws a ball at me, my first instinct is to run away. My second is to catch it. And I have very slow reflexes. Volleyball is just not for me. I don't even take the tests with the class anymore. I sort of doze off and try to think at things I excel in, and I end up failing, and then I think, "Zoe, when you grow up nobody will care that you're terrible at sports, no one will care, no one will care," but then I think, "Perhaps, but then I'll be old and have to have a job and I won't be living in Portland, and I will probably aquire heart problems from my lack of physical exercise and it will be very, very bad." Other times I think of other people who are bad at sports. All of these people live at home. I don't think anyone in the entire country of Germany dislikes sports. Now I am making generalizations about my host country as well as speaking no language and writing boring blog entries.

On Wednesday I spoke to my math teacher for the first time. I said, "I have to speak about the test. I can't do it. I'm sorry. Math is not my subject." He said, "Well, you don't need real notes, do you?" I said, "No, I don't." (Liar.)

On Thursday my math teacher acknowledged my presence in his class. He was talking about a problem in German and then suddenly switched into English, and before I knew it, he was yelling at me all this stuff about "the housewife." The housewife. The housewife makes a certain amount of money each year and then it goes up by six percent increase and then you use a special feature on your calculator and find out how much she's making after 24 years... And, what an idiot, I couldn't even think about the problem. I felt really disoriented and started thinking, Where is all this money coming from? Isn't the definition of a housewife that she doesn't have a job? Is there some benefit for housewives in Germany that I don't know about? How awful to be referred to as a "housewife"! I can imagine, perhaps having an etsy shop and a band and some kids and that being awesome, even if I were filling a traditional female role by staying home while my husband made most of the money, but the word housewife just implies soccer and a minivan and pilates and plastic surgery and... ugh. My math teacher stopped lecturing me in English, turned to the class and said (truly), "She doesn't understand anything, she's so stupid."

I am serious. And this, after running into my host family's cleaning woman on the bus and having her say to me that I can't help being bad at math and physics BECAUSE I'M A GIRL. Okay. Now I'm also an unfair sexist stereotype.

The thing about math in Germany is that the pace is so fast, I can't keep up. I mean, I really can't keep up -- I literally cannot figure all the notes in my binder out and remember them before the teacher has moved onto something completely different. At home, I did well in math and enjoyed it, but I had to stay after school every once in a while and get help. And I have to work a little harder in math than the others. It doesn't "come naturally" to me, but I can figure it out, it just takes me a while. And I love figuring out problems, it's really satisfying. I especially enjoyed the little bit of trigonometry we did last year.

It's frustrating to me how impossible it is to get help from teachers, and how little they seem to care about our well-being. I guess my perspective is a little distorted from Casco Bay, where everyone in my humanties class cries on the same day, usually right before the end of the expedition, and Ms. Carter lectures us on "the amazing journey you've made this year" and then she starts crying too and then we all make posters about the changes we want to see in our school and listen to some kid read emotional poetry.

To close, a quote from Lukas Leonhard: "It's Herr Doktor Meyerstein! Hello, Herr Doktor Meyerstein!" And today = second viewing of Twilight with a girl from my French class. The end.

9 Kommentare:

Liz Woodbury hat gesagt…

don't forget that you don't have to take school too seriously, my dear. it doesn't matter how you do in gym or math. for real. i hated volleyball too, i used to pretend that i had to pee right before it was my turn to serve. so now you know who you inherited that from! my lack of volleyball skillz has not affected my adult life for one single second.

love,

the housewife

Anonym hat gesagt…

Hi zoe! I haven't commented for a while, and I wanted to say hi!

I love you,
Isaac

Anonym hat gesagt…

Dear Margot,
Don't tell anybody, but I've hatched a secret plot to come to Germany and assassinate your math teacher by creating a specialized weapon using only a pencil and a protractor. So help is on the way.
Love,
Dancer Lady
P.S. Volleyball's for losers.

charlotte hat gesagt…

wow! sounds like the worst day ever!

Anonym hat gesagt…

the bus driver obviously wanted to exscuse her lack of math skills by steryotyping... don't worry, you'll like Mr. Nichols, he's the best math teacher i have had in HS!
what do you think of Twilight? *snigger* have you read it yet? i'd give you sypathy but it turns into horrible sounding advice, and that's just upsetting... e-mail me i miss you! hang in there, and talk to you soon!

Mange elske, lots of Love (norwegian, did you guess?)

Devyn.

Anonym hat gesagt…

Yes, the monetary quandary of the housewife. Imagine the implications of replacing housewife with, say, Garbage Man, Dog Catcher, Drug Dealer -- Math Teacher could have done better, right?

Fifth Grader Freddy Maisberger climbed up the rope in no time. Once, Freddy impressed us with his rope climbing skillz by only using his arms -- Wow! He was very short, had stringy red hair, and thousands of freckles. Oh, and he was unarguably the fastest sprinter in school. I, on the other hand, could barely climb three feet of the rope. Hey, have I ever mentioned my one-week pole vaulting career?

Ok, now I have to go look at your Flickr pics. Yea!

Love,
Dad

Anonym hat gesagt…

I hated volleyball with a passion, all through high school. I did anything to avoid it: I skipped class, pretend to be sick, or cut school. All in all my lack of volleyball skills has not affected my life. The strange thing is, however, is that I once played it at a picnic in graduate school and found that I actually liked the game; taken out of the context of gym class and played with other uncoordinated types, it is not a bad game.

Best wishes,
Jason Read

Katie hat gesagt…

Hallo Miss!

a quick note on the housewife front: it's actually a valid career in Germany. (I learned this from my VHS Course-- you get tax refunds and other lovely things.) I've always sort of wanted to be a house wife. Except not have children and not have a minivan. Maybe just unemployed? My career goals at this point are wildly altruistic.

I also suck at volleyball and have given up on most of school. I think I'm also going to stop going to chemistry. Just remember that school isn't everything-- i've managed to do high school in three years, perhaps you can too?

On the teacher note: yes, I concur. My teachers make fun of me and when I try anything, I get made fun of with renewed vigor. Our math teacher doesn't even show up-- but I'm completely lost in math either way.

School is frustrating and other things, but I suppose it is not everything.

Hope you have a lovely weekend (plus, we have to talk about a certain celibate flower and travel plans)--

yours
katie

Martha hat gesagt…

zoe-
wie ich habe schon gesagt, dein mathelehrer ist klar dumm....
2)denk nicht so viel über volleyball. ich mag sport aber
ich bin auch total schlecht in sport!
:)