Mittwoch, Oktober 22, 2008

A little story

Today was our first big test of the year, in Music class. Let me tell you: my first day of music class, all we did was sing little songs from a songbook about peace and Jesus. I thought, this is so awesome! This is like being ten years old again and playing the steel drums or autoharp or whatever. Well, music class is actually very, very difficult. I would say it is my second-hardest class, after chemistry. OK, and physics. In physics I literally understand nothing, nothing at all. It's probably even harder than math, or would be if I weren't such a dunce in math.

Anyway, we had a big test on jazz history, and jazz chords. I'd hoped that I'd at least be able to write a couple questions on the test, but that was optimistic -- I understood nothing. The music teacher came up to me, and I sad pathetically, "Ich kann das nicht." We looked at the paper, and then we looked at each other and laughed and laughed. "Continue to laugh!" he said in German. "You can just sit here laughing instead of writing the test! Tell me everything you know about jazz. You're American, you must know something." Miraculously, I understood everything he'd just said, but the satisfaction that comes with that is fleeting. Actually, it disappears in under a second -- as soon as I realize that there's no way I can convey that I understood everything, because I can't speak German! This is especially difficult when I'm talking to someone who speaks NO English (my music teacher.)

"Ich kann das nicht," I said sadly. "Ich kenne Jazz nicht." The music teacher just laughed at me. "Du bist americanisch!" he said again. Then he turned around to face the class and announced (in German, obviously,) "She's American, and she doesn't know anything about jazz! No wonder they say nobody learns anything in America." (Or something to that effect, I don't know exactly.) Everyone in the class started laughing at me.

"Country?" he suggested. "Kennst du Country? Just tell me what you know."

Well, that's pretty broad, I thought. That's okay. I started out by writing (in German), "Because I know nothing of jazz, and just a bit of country, I'm telling you all I know of the Beatles, and what I didn't forget."

I went on to schreib as much as I could, using such ingenious lines as, "Now the Beatles were in Beatlemania. They were beloved. One didn't hear in their concerts, because the crowd was too loud" and "In the next years, the Beatles had many changes. George Harrison was married. John Lennon divorced with his wife Cynthia. In 1966 John Lennon and Bob Dylan met together. Bob Dylan gave him marijuana. With the new drug was coming a new music style."

Then I finished (rather abruptly, after a brief description of Ravi Shankar -- "He was called the Sitar master and from him learned George Harrison Indian music") by writing, "Today the Beatles are still an influence. Like Daniel Johnston. Daniel Johnston is a beloved influence in 'outsider art.' He had mental illness. When he was young he loved the Beatles, and could with them identify." I included the lyrics of "The Beatles" to illustrate my point. (Ha ha.)

So we'll see how I do on the "test." I'm hoping for a five, personally (second-worst), or even an "ungradable." We'll see.

9 Kommentare:

Liz Woodbury hat gesagt…

i hope you're able to see how FUNNY this story is, and not upset about it! i love your beatles essay!!

(if it's not funny yet, read it again in a week or two.)

Anonym hat gesagt…

Your essay is great! Oh my, you're brave, my girl.

Love,
Dad

Mary hat gesagt…

your essay and this blog entry are both high David Sedaris quality- it really doesn't matter what the music teacher thinks !! you are GREAT & I am NOT saying this just because I'm your grandmother!

charlotte hat gesagt…

zoe, i was almost crying i was laughing so hard! that whole scenario is so you!! i don't think you're losing anything.

Anonym hat gesagt…

Mary beat me to it, but I was going to say "David Sedaris goes to Germany!" Your whole trip is worth it just because of that blog entry! And hey, if your music teacher is so smart, why doesn't he speak English? You will come home next year speaking PLENTY of German, and you will return to CBHS and speak German by accident!

Anonym hat gesagt…

Daniel Johnston's "The Beatles"
Yip / Jump Music (1983)

When I was born in '61
They already had a hit
They worked so hard and they
Made it too
They really were very good
They deserved all their success
They earned it yes they did they didn't
Buy their respect
And everybody wanted to be like them
Everybody wanted to be the Beatles
And I really wanted to be like him
But he died
A legendary rock group
Like history now to read
Like a magical fairy tale that's hard to believe
But it really did happen
Four lads who shook the world
God bless them for what they done
God bless them for what they done

Anonym hat gesagt…

Z., I felt transported,standing right between you and the music teacher, while taking in the panoramic view, looking about the room, then watching you write your wonderful piece! That's the essence of this, how well you write and capture it all...and your amazing resilience! p.s. perhaps you could get extra jazz credit points for once living with a dog your parents named Bird -- to give that music teacher some idea of the significance of jazz in your upbringing!!! Love, Sooze

Adam hat gesagt…

Zoe, this is so funny. Such good material! It is so much fun to read everything you write about your experiences in Germany!

Unknown hat gesagt…

well, everyone else has already said this but your essay reminded me of in 'jesus shaves' when the whole class attempts to explain easter.