Sonntag, August 02, 2009

The last month

I am, at long last, updating my blog. This past month has been crazy. I can't believe that it's really been four weeks since I left Germany, but at the same time, my whole exchange seems very far away.

I haven't really been experiencing any "reverse culture shock," apart from wishing they had good bread here and mire attractive street signs. However, the first couple of days back in America, I felt incredibly, weirdly disoriented. I greeted my family by hugging them and exclaiming, "This is so weird!! This is SO WEIRD!"

After a day in D.C., I met my parents, and we spent a couple more days in Baltimore, visiting Ellen's parents, and a day in Cambridge with Mana and Pop. I was really eager to get home! My house looked so different, I started running through each room shouting, "Our house is so stylish! It should be in a magazine!!" On my first day back in Portland, I had lots of visitors, including Flora, Artemis, Miss Gliss, and Enoch.

Since then, I've been keeping myself busy with spending time with friends, walking to Arabica, cooking Indian food, kombucha-tasting, going to Funtown, and absurd amounts of summer homework from the shack. I have a pretty regular babysitting job and I'm playing my uke a lot. Things are pretty much back to normal.

2 Kommentare:

olive hat gesagt…

Sounds like you are having a good American summer.
I love it here in Deutschland! Maybe I will become disillusioned later, but this country immediately feels like home to me. I've already been invited to schwimmen by a guy who my host sister says is "a player." This pleases me. My room is also outfitted with decor from Ikea. This also makes me viele glücklich.
I'm experiencing the losing of English you talked about, and it's only been two days. Waaassss?
Haben ein Sommer wunderbar! Tschüss!

Olivia

olive hat gesagt…

Yes, I am already with my permanent family. I'm glad--it seems kind of weird to have people stay with a family, only to leave them after a month! I'm definitely trying to stay positive--I get made fun of for being the Amerikaner, but I laugh it off, and hey, I can't understand what they are saying, anyway!

When you were in Germany, did you ever get the chance to try their cereal? There isn't healthy cereal like what I eat in the U.S., but I have fallen in love with these squares that are filled with chocolate. Did you have those? Also, my family eats a lot of fruit and vegetables from the farmers market, which I definitely did not expect.

Bye for now (have fun kombucha tasting, btw).