Donnerstag, Juni 18, 2009

according to my calculations

It seems that tomorrow I've officially got three weeks left in Germany. Isn't that, as they say, extreme?

I will miss Germany terribly, but mostly I am just really, really ready to be at home. It's not Germany's fault. I think in a lot of ways I wasn't ready for this year abroad. I definitely didn't take everything I could from it. I meant to, but in a lot of cases, I waited for stuff to come to me instead of reaching out and grabbing it. Tang tells me, "Your problem is you always look up. Sometimes you need to look down, too." By this, she doesn't mean that I'm overly optimistic -- she means that I always want to be better. I look at the people who are better than me instead of realizing how much I have or have accomplished.

So this explains why I've got such weird mixed feelings about going home. A lot of people, including Martha and my host sister Marlene, say that they feel/felt conflicted about leaving behind lives they'd worked so hard to create in their host countries. But I feel like I didn't have time to create my new life -- like maybe that would take two or three years instead of one. I like it here, and I love my host family, and the other exchange students are wonderful, but I still have this overwhelming feeling that this is not me. I'm just a temporary person. I don't know if this is because I didn't try hard enough, or coincidence, or because of how closed-off I can be with people sometimes, or what. I just know I am leaving with a little regret.

But it's not that I am regretting everything, or that I'm miserable, or anything of that sort. I am happy! I feel like I tried something new and I got out of it what I could. Sometimes I start going over in my head everything that's happened in this last year and it's incredibly overwhelming. I want to grab my journal and write everything down exactly the way it happened so I will never forget. Only then, I realize that I'd never have enough time, and I feel that limited feeling that I get all the time at home when I attempt elaborate art or film projects -- the things I can do feel so finite!

Other pieces of news:

1. Right now my German and Thai host sisters are deciphering my practice worksheet for my math test.

2. In Music we are studying something called "tonality" and "Kadenz". It's something with chords, under them are Roman numerals I II IV V VI V V VI VII, and the chords change to other chords, represented by m and another letter. In other words, something that my five years of piano lessons as a child did not cover. More proof that I, a self-taught ukeist, should not be on the track with all the musical prodigies. As my music teacher (who kind of resembles Daniel Johnston and is nice, but also one of those rock-music-isn't-actually-real-music folks) wrote this on the board, he declared, "This is easy! Even a monkey could do it!" A monkey, perhaps, but not the American exchange student.

3. Today I officially gave up my career in jogging. For a while, I was really enjoying it, jogging three times a week, and feeling better about all the crap I eat. But I really think it is just not for me. I've gotten way way worse all of a sudden, and it's frustrating, and I think I out to stick to physical actvities that I enjoy instead of ones I have to force myself to do.

4. To replace my career in jogging, I think next year I am going to learn to swim and learn to ride a bike. This has been my goal for roughly as long as I can remember. I have been learning to ride a bike for approximately three years, but somehow I just can't get the hang of it. As for swimming, that's just really necessary -- I want to learn to sail, but before I can do that, I need to get over my fear of water, and learn to swim.

5. I don't have any idea what I'm doing.

7 Kommentare:

Liz Woodbury hat gesagt…

"i am a visitor here; i am not permanent."

i don't think you should give up on jogging! or maybe just amend it to fast walking. but i also thinking swimming and biking will be more fun.

you're doing such an amazing job at this whole thing, you don't even realize it - xoxoxo

mh hat gesagt…

Hello my little American Exchange Student.

Great to chat with you today. Thanks for allowing me to share my current enthusiasm for the Antony/Bryce cover of Dylan's "I Was Young When I Left Home".

Like I mentioned earlier, you have so much to be proud of. And, rest assured your future will be full of more adventures, don't you worry!

"Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in."

-Dad

mh hat gesagt…

Oops, I forgot to credit my Leonard Cohen quote.

olive hat gesagt…

Hey--
I've been reading your blog for a while; I won a Congress Bundestag scholarship this year, and your website popped up on a google search of the program. Anyway, I feel a bit stupid, posting a comment for the first time after reading for months--but I just had to after reading this post. You are amazingly eloquent and insightful, and I just wanted to say that, although my experience in Germany will probably be different from yours, your observations and stories have nonetheless really helped me. You've really given me a sense of what living as an exchange student in Germany is like. Congratulations on surviving your experience, not giving up, and emerging so wise and astute! I wish you much luck for the remainder of your stay as well as in future endeavors!

charlotte hat gesagt…

i think i know what you mean about the temporariness. you've mentioned it a couple of times, and i think i've done it when i've been away from home but that i also do it at home with different groups of people and in different situations. you create this other personality to best suit whatever's going on around you. i don't know if that's good or bad or if it's teenager-y, but doing that for a whole year is quite, um, extreme, as they say.

if you're going to try swimming and biking when you get back (so so soon!), i wouldn't worry about jogging now. liz and i are going to duke it out.

Devyn-Reilly hat gesagt…

you'll have to come visit harpswell this summer, the rest of your family is invited of course... this is after you have recovered from everything, and optional... but the water is getting to be really nice!
lots of love!

Unknown hat gesagt…

Zoe, this is a great post! You are very articulate, albeit a little bit hard on yourself! You've accomplished an incredible amount this year, and I think maybe you'll appreciate it all more after you leave, and maybe after just reading your blog of this year from start to finish. We are all very excited about seeing you in July! Enjoy your last three weeks! (I bought a video of the first CBHS graduation, so you can watch it this summer if you'd like to.)