Montag, Mai 04, 2009

hello

I feel like things are still just so up and down. My mind is a constant back-and-forth between enthusiastically loving this country and absolutely unjusting hating it. Take, for example, last Wednesday. I started out my day by deciding that when I grow up I will live here when I noticed the red thing attached to the window of the bus is for smashing the glass if you're stuck inside it during an accident, and the amazing illustration demonstrating how to use it. When my French teacher humiliated me in front of my entire class and then handed me a test with a grade of 5-6, the entire country of Germany was to blame. But my faith in it was restored when I visited my Bundestag person Katja Mast, and before I departed, she handed me a big stack of papers about her and the SPD and the Bundestag, including one that stated exactly how much money she makes. That would just never happen in the U.S.!

I had a great weekend in Munich with Alisa. (Pictures coming as soon as I receive my replacement camera cord in the mail.) The first day, we visited one of the castles built by King Ludwig II, Linderhof. The king was a little crazy and built these crazy scenes based on Wagner's operas. We visited one that was underground. He built a huge artifical cave with a lake in it, wave machines, an orchestra played there -- it is so extravagant, and has absolutely no purpose other than the king's aethetic pleasure. On the second day we visited Neuschwanstein, and then headed to Munich.

I love Munich, and I would very much like to live there someday. Munich has everything you need, including Muji, lots of great vintage stores, and old buildings.

And I have a Dirndl.

And guess what.

It's mustard yellow.

5 Kommentare:

Liz Woodbury hat gesagt…

hallo, up and down girl! i am so happy you made it to munich - it sounds amazing, and i can't wait to see pictures. the camera cord's in the mail. please let us know a.s.a.p. if it doesn't work for some reason!

i can't wait to see photos, also, of 1) your hair cut and 2) your mustard yellow dirndl.

Unknown hat gesagt…

I have never seen a mustard yellow Dirndl. All Dirndl I knew are blue and red. I am real
y excited to see pics!

Katie hat gesagt…

And you're going to bring it to end of stay, right?

Because we're doing some sort of something for the bundestag, and I am wearing my lederhosen.

Yours
Katie

PS-- I am also super jealous of your münchen travels. I have never been south of Frankfurt!

Anonym hat gesagt…

Fun!

Ever since I read the recent nyt article on Munich I've hoped you'd make it there.

Yea!

-Dad

charlotte hat gesagt…

Munich sounds so great. I'm glad you found something that's mustard yellow! Your mom just told me that you have an essay in the USM lit mag. Is it the one you wrote for sophomore passage? Which feels like it was so very many years ago.